The Colette Laurel is my type of dress, simple in design but an absolute wardrobe staple. It’s a great pattern for beginners as it really enables you to focus on getting the core structure of a garment just right, it also doesn’t take too much fabric (approx 1.5m) so it enables you to go for quality over quantity.
It’s easy to fit and has a bonus pack to make different adaptions, which is great for adding a personal touch. This dress also works well with different fabrics, so far I have made 3 different versions of this lovely dress in 3 different fabrics.
Version 1 is made from a quilting cotton that I purchased from the remnant basket at Abakhan and edged with a contrast bias binding around the neck and sleeves, there really are some lovely quilting cottons out there so it’s great that they work with this dress.
Version 2 is made from my favourite Liberty of London Tana lawn print, wiltshire berry. This version is finished with a bias binding around the neck, but this time with it finished on the inside, and the sleeves are finished with a ruffle cuff.
Version 3 is made from a beautiful stretch Lady McElroy crepe that I recently tested for Minerva Crafts (this means that I received the fabric for free in return for reviewing it in a blog post that will go onto Minerva's website, my fabric review post will be available soon). This dress was actually made from the leftovers after I made a different dress from it. This fabric works so well and because it has some stretch I didn’t even have to insert a zip, yay to that! I added contrast pockets to this version from quilting cotton and finished the neck and sleeves with bias binding finished on the outside.
Be sure to watch the video below to see all 3 versions up close, I have also included a screen recording of the PDF pattern and the bonus pack so that you can see exactly what you get with the pattern.
Have a wonderful week!